Well for one thing, it seems the meeting of the Mutual Appreciation Society is in full swing. Last week we were awarded Customer Excellence Partner 2018 at the Mimecast Partner Update and Awards ceremony, more about which you can read here, but it’s worth revisiting what they do and how they benefit businesses of all sizes.
Email communication is the heartbeat of every business and when such a fundamental element of our lives stops working, even for a short time, it upsets the equilibrium. You know that awful, sinking feeling you get when you can’t find your phone? That, but a thousand times worse….
So, Who Are They…
Mimecast was founded in 2003 by Peter Bauer and Neil Murray, two exceptionally well-established tech veterans. CEO Peter founded FAB Technology (later selling the company to Idion) and was one of the early pioneers of corporate messaging systems. CTO Neil previously had the same role at Global Technology Services and he oversees the company’s suite of technology and services.
Interestingly, Nathan Borenstein, the company’s Chief Scientist is one of the original designers (in 1992, with Ned Freed) of the MIME protocol for formatting multimedia email and he was the guy who sent the world’s very first email attachment.
You’re now wondering what it was aren’t you?
It was a photo of Borenstein and his barbershop quartet, The Telephone Chords, and their reason for creating it? He said that one day he dreamed of being able to receive pictures of his grandchildren by email.
Headquartered in London, the company has offices in Europe, North America, Africa, the Middle East and Australia. They employ 1,200+ staff, they have a market cap of $2.6 billion and they have something like 31,000 customers including Virgin, Eurostar, De Beers and tens of thousands of SMEs who you’ve never heard of but who rely on Mimecast every day to make sure their email is safe.
…And What Do They Do?
This is straight off their website – ‘We make email safer for business.’ This is also lifted straight off their website – ‘Email is the number-one application used to communicate. It’s also the number-one vector for cyberattacks. Protect, manage and archive without compromise.’
What else do you need to know? OK, there’s more.
They improve email security, they make your emails easier to manage and they reduce costs in doing so, all without compromise. Oh, and they allow you to create a secure, centralised repository for your corporate data in the cloud.
If you want to know the in’s and out’s of how Mimecast can genuinely benefit your business as you contemplate a move into the cloud, read what we have to say about their service offering and then contact us.
Why Should You Use Mimecast?
There are plenty of companies out there who do email security and every one of them will tell you that their solution is the most secure, most robust, cheapest and easiest to implement – and elements of all that may be true on one level or another for all of them – but notwithstanding their supremely good products, the main reason we recommend Mimecast is because they get results.
For us, the best testimonials are the voices of satisfied end-users who have achieved real, tangible results. This is what you really want to know when you’re looking for a company to work with, not the nitty-gritty tech detail. That comes later…
- In 2016, Mimecast helped Dick Hannah, a large, US-based multi-state car dealer to eliminate phishing and ransomware attacks and saved them $50,000 a year on archiving costs
- In 2017, Mimecast helped global law firm Fichte & Co to reduce exposure to phishing attacks by 94%. It now blocks 60% of inbound email at the gateway and has set a false-positive rate of essentially zero
- Mimecast’s Targeted Threat Protection stopped over 20,000 emails at English law firm Lodders in just eight weeks. IT Director Alex Loquens said ‘Having Mimecast in place as we plan our Office 365 migration reassures us that our email and data is safe both during and after the move’
- James Howatt, an IT Manager at consultancy firm Grant Thornton simply said ‘Mimecast is our trusted advisor’
- Dubai-based retail management company Lals Group used Mimecast’s cloud-based email archiving,providing an annual cost saving of $70,000 and slashed admin time on Exchange Server maintenance from 20% to 5%
- Au Bon Pain, a global bakery chain used Mimecast to streamline email archiving and retrieval, saving them over $100,000 on replication infrastructure as well as blocking 75% of the 400,000 monthly emails they receive as spam
We can give you the nitty-gritty tech detail if you want, but wouldn’t you rather know that Mimecast can save you money, give you a more coherent and robust service and do exactly what you need it do without any fuss?
Have a good week.